May, Day 6: I think

"If you couldn't answer with your job, how would you answer the question, 'What do you do?'"

I spend most of my time in my head. I read, write, lurk on social media sites and blogs, research, pray, watch tv, listen to music, consider my plans for the future, imagine, over-analyze my interactions with others.... I think. It's what I do probably more than anything else.

My Myers-Briggs personality type is INTP (Introverted, iNtuitive, Thinking, Perceiving). (Here is a link to a short online test - disclaimer: this is not the full test, but it will probably give you a decent idea of what your personality is like.) And here are a few motivational(?) posters to give you an idea what being an INTP means:





I think many people misunderstand the definition of an INTP. Just because I think doesn't mean I am an emotionless robot. Just because I think doesn't mean I am a supergenius destined to rule the world (I am a supergenius destined to rule the world, but that does not necessarily come with being an INTP). My inner world is just more dominant than my social life. And just because a person has an "F" where my "T" is doesn't mean they don't think.

I rarely spend time looking at what other people have to say about being an INTP because "being" anything is a subjective experience, and too many people try to fit "INTPism" into a definitive box when they first learn of its rational nature. It's annoying. But these pictures describe it pretty well (which is probably why they are so humorous) - that first one especially cracks me up. I wonder if this is how I normally appear to others in a crowded room.... I'm pretty sure I do.

Since this is primarily a theologically-oriented blog, I'll throw an interesting biblical reference in here. Bet you can't guess which person in the Bible is generally thought of in connection with the INTP type!

Have you made your guess? Okay. Now I'll tell you. It's Doubting Thomas. What a nickname, eh? The skeptic. Yep...that's me!
So...apart from your occupation, what do you do? And/Or what is your Myers-Briggs personality type?

Comments

  1. Very interesting post, I too think most of the time in any case I don't have a job.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting. I remember taking this test years ago. I was an ESFJ. I guess that makes us opposites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't have guessed Thomas. But it might make him more interesting to write about if I approach him that way (he figures in a project I've been working on for several years).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm going to test myself, besides being clueless, and in search of a clue, you have given me food for thought. A craving I ALWAYS have!
    I'll be back to give you the low-down on my nitty-gritty. ;)

    As always, I enjoy your conversations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tested. Results: INFJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! I came across your blog from the Blog Every Day in May challenge. I'm an INTP, too -- I don't know if I've met another woman INTP in my life. I, too, am the life of the party and always in my head. Nice to make your acquaintance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, we have three letters in common! :)

    Kristen's latest #BlogEveryDayInMay post: Everyday in May: I Play with Cats and a Dog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another Biblical person I've seen for INTP is Solomon. That cut the baby in half thing was very perceptive...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A: Alive!

C: C. S. Lewis wrote this poem...

Top 10 Movie Countdown Blogfest