May, Day 4: What Can I Do For You?


Note: I have been very busy the last few days, so I am still catching up with comments and blog visiting. Thank you to everyone who has stopped by - I love your comments!

Today's writing prompt is to talk about our favorite quote, from a person or book or whatever, and why we love it. I'm not sure I have an overall favorite quote - I like some when I come across them, but not too many stick with me for some reason. I guess I will go with the famous quote from John F. Kennedy's inaugural speech, "Ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country," because I like an idea inherent in it.

 
Last night I was talking with a friend (female) who shared with me a conversation she had had recently with another friend (male). She told me he was discouraged and pretty down on the world and his optimism for it, and her response to him was, "How can you not see the good in the world? You've told me of several good things you have done personally; so if you are capable of that, you must believe others are, too." And near the end of the conversation, she just simply asked, "What can I do to help you?"

Her question struck me as a powerful one. I may not single-handedly be able to eradicate the evil from the world. I may not be eloquent or omniscient enough to explain how a good God can allow evil things to happen to innocent people. Sure, I can offer theories and apologetics...I can point you to other arguments and theodicies that might set your mind at ease and answer some of your questions. But the problem will still exist. And we will never fully understand it. I can't change that.

But is there something I can do? Is there something I can do for you? What do you need right now? How can I bring a little bit of good, or a little bit of Jesus' love to you?

The same friend and I have discussed the value and meaning in going out of your way to do something for someone else. When you know someone else has a need, and you have the means to meet that need, why not do it? Sometimes we each have struggled with knowing if we are where we need to be, and whether we are here for the right reasons. What my friend is coming to realize is that it is important to her to be where she is right now because she is helping someone dear to her by being where she is. That is meaningful to her. I am glad she is finding peace in that. And I agree.

Something is to be said for generosity and general benevolence.

Something is to be said for "loving your neighbor".

Something is to be said for "doing unto others what you would have them do unto you".

So I guess the lesson I get from this quote is, don't always expect someone else to step up and solve all the world's problems. You are part of this beautiful, though often troubled, organism called humanity. You (I) can do something, for someone, at some point.

Comments

  1. You are doing well with your May blogfest. Well done.

    Yvonne..

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A: Alive!

C: C. S. Lewis wrote this poem...

Top 10 Movie Countdown Blogfest